Thursday, December 18, 2008

My Interview a'la Expat

I was reading "That damn expat"s blog the other day when I saw that she'd come accross a fantastic bloggy idea wherebye your readers ask you to interview them and you e mail them five questions that they have to answer.

I figured what the heck and I commented asking her to interview me, and she did!

Ok so it works both ways. if you want me to interview you just reply to this post by commentin 'Interview Me' and I'll do just that!

Here are the rules:
1. Leave me a comment saying, "Interview me."
2. I will respond by emailing you five questions. I get to pick the questions.
3. You will update your blog with the answers to the questions.
4. You will include this explanation and an offer to interview someone else in the same post.
5. When others comment asking to be interviewed, you will ask them five questions.


Question 1:
I've never been to South Africa but am planning a trip for the World Cup. Introduce me to your country.

Great I can't wait for you to get here! I think a lot of people are coming through in 2010. It's a very exciting moment for us and we've been working like busy bees for the past 3 years to build transport systems, new roads, stadiums etc. There's definately a LOT of buzz about the Soccer World Cup.

Anyways.. South Africa is democratic, muli-racial country of approximately 49 million people. It's situated on the Southern most tip of Africa underneath Zimbabwe, Botswana and Namibia and has about 8 different eco systems.

We have 11 official languages, 9 provinces and 5 major cities. I live in Johannesburg which is the administrative capital of the country. It's right smack bang in the middle of the country in the Gauteng province which is by far the smallest and ironically has the largest population.

As a country we're the biggest economy in Africa, we have the strongest currency (the Rand) and we have several large business focuses including Tourism, Manufacturing, Agriculture etc. In fact, many of the cars you all drive and much of the fruit you eat comes from us!

Other notables include Rhinos, Cape Town, Charlize Theron,Lions, Rugby World Cup Champions, Cheetahs, Leopards, Giraffes, Great White Sharks, Elephants, Nelson Mandela, Biltong, Braais, Pap, Poitjie Kos, Elke en ander talle (other languages, I speak Afrikaans too), Johnny Cleg, , Arnold Vosloo, Melk Tart, All Gold Tomato Sauce, Nando's and the best beaches you've ever seen.

Come visit!

We're awesome.

Question 2:
Congratulations on graduating! (Yes, I do read your blog.) If you could go back four years, would you change anything?

Thank you! It's really nice to know that someone reads what I write considering I've only been blogging for 2 months and I'm kinda lazy.

When I went to university I really had no idea what I wanted to do. I still don't. In hindsight I would have taken a year off after school to travel and get stuck into real life so that I would have had a better idea of what it's all about. I think a stint as a telemarketer or a shop assistant would have done me some good.

I love English and I'm glad I studied it but the problem is that it doesn't really have a lot of practical application. There isn't really a lot of money in writing or copywriting and while money's not everything, it's still nice to have.

One thing I wish I had studied and hope I may still study one day is law. I think I'd make a mean advocate.

Question 3:
I see you love music. Tell me one thing about music that you personally love the most.

I've been playing in some band or another since I was 12. It was always something I loved to do whenever I got the chance and I love spending time crafting and creating songs.

Mostly I love the creative element. I always struggle to get things down on paper and write them out but for me writing a song with my friend is generally effortless and void of all pressure.

I'm also a bit of a show off so I love playing live. More so now than ever.

Oh and I LOVE playing my favorite guitar!

Question 4:
I see you are in love. Tell me one thing about your girl that makes her stand out.

Well she can hardly see for one. Without her glasses she lives in a fuzzy, unfocused world and it's pretty cute.

Ok, I guess I'll have to get sloppy...No matter what happens she's always on the look out for other stuff to do, when she finds something she is able to completely lose herself in the possibilities before she's even started something (she was decorating our flat before we had furniture, or a flat). Even though it can really get to me sometimes I think it's pretty funny and it makes me laugh.

She also cooks like a DEMON, oh my word her food is the best.


Question 5:
Why „Unicorns"?


When I joined Blogger I wasn't really sure of what was going on. I chose the first thing that came to my mind for my username and only discovered later that it was kind of wierd.

I read a whole post on why it's cool to date a unicorn a few weeks ago and it's hilarious.
Read it here, Seriously. It's something you should do.

PS: My username used to be Unicorns

There we go, all done! Thanks Expat for the interview, your blog rocks my working and I think it's awesome that we're in a pretty similar time zone. Read her blog if you know what's good for you!

1 comment:

Bella@That damn expat said...

Great job!
If everything else fails you can work as a tour guide.

Also, thanks for the kind words! You have a great blog too and I hope some of my readers will come your way.